I haven't figured out a title to tie all of the threads in this post together---

 Today I am trying to get a post in before candle lighting.



It's snowing! Not enough for a snowball fight or to build a snowman but enough to make the air quieter.

There has been so little snow for the past couple of years that this is enough to bring me a little bit of snow joy.


When I helped Laura deal with the textiles in her late mother's apartment a few weeks back, she encourage me to take a light blue linen tablecloth. I was a little reluctant to take it it was a sweet pale blue probably from the late 1950s or 60's. There was no fancy embroidery. It was exactly the sort of cloth my mother would have owned, complete with narrow white pearl stitching at the hem. Unfortunately though, there were also some tears near one end. I had washed and dried the cloth and it was taking up lots of space in my needs to be ironed pile. I realized that if i actually fixed the cloth it would have a home among my tablecloths.


I cut off the section of the cloth that was damaged and ran the entire cloth through my serger. I figured that it would be easier to create an entirely new hem than to try to match the pearl hem. 


When I was helping Laura I noticed  this set of china on display.


Of course it was the fancy dairy china. My mother owned pieces from a companion set.

Laura's mom's dishes were as familiar to me as the face of a childhood neighbor. I knew that the pale blue linen cloth was used with the dairy china.


After I serged the cloth it was time to hem it.



I used this decorative star stitch to secure the hem because it reminded me of Laura's mom's dishes. 


I did miter all of the corners because both my mother and Laura's mother would have approved. I assume that this little flourish will mean nothing to any of the people who will use this cloth in the future.  For me, each time I see the cloth and the sweet star stitches in the pale blues that Laura's mother loved I will think of Laura's mom who I have never met and her refined taste.

Earlier this week my husband and I went on an adventure with our friends Alfie and Judy. I don't think that most people would think of it as an actual adventure.




We spent a few frigid minutes admiring the view of the New York side of the Hudson from the Palisades.


It was cold even for our friend who had lived in Minnesota for several decades.


Our actual destination was Bingo, the frum equivalent of Costco. I had gone to the Brooklyn branch of Bingo before Passover but I assumed that the suburban branch would be even more wonderful.


I did not buy the whole brisket despite the incredible price.

I also didn't buy the beef fat.





They had an impressive selection of havdalah candles








I loved their toy department. Lots of very religious kids don't partake of popular American culture as presented on TV. Here are some toys created for this niche market.


I had purchased a small set of these figurines before Passover. 







You can purchase a puzzle that  depicts these toys in a shopping for Shabbat scene.


There is a religious version of the children's game Guess Who.


There were also tons of card games for long Shabbat afternoons



You could also purchase a toy tallit and t'fillin set.



This may have been my favorite item in the toy section.






I had misread this sign. For those of you who don't know Hebrew---the last two words are Hebrew. It's too much effort to translate for a small chuckle. But if you know Hebrew, enjoy your small chuckle. 


I did cook for Shabbat with food that I purchased at Bingo.



Candle lighting is near...so last week we had music and no words, this week words and no music.


No, I don't believe in the sign below---Shabbat Shalom to all



Comments

  1. Love the new treatment for the table linens! I never thought of using the decorative stitching on my sewing machine for narrow hems; that's something I'll have to add to the tool bag. Although I don't think I have the pretty stars.

    And those teacups! I love that fluted shape. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my mother's tablecloth that was edged in a scallop stitch was the inspiration for the star stitch. Neither of my sewing machines has a ton of decorative stitches but the star stitch is indeed a star.

      Your comment on the teacup shape had me doing a deep dive into Shelley tea cups. They manufactured cups in a few different shapes. I am fond of this scalloped shape but thanks to you I discovered a dramatic angular cup that they made in the art Deco era.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.