I have spent much of the last few days trying to transfer these images
onto silk for the lining of the tallit bag.
I had prepared the silk shantung with a chemical that allows the ink from my printer to set permanently onto the silk. The product has a really stupid name, Bubble Jet 2000, but it works really well.
Printers don’t love to print fabric, so you have to trick them into the job. I had prepared the silk, and then ironed it onto some wax coated cloth backing with the trade name Chartex. Chartex was created to back photographs. A neighbor had given me a box years ago. We had thought that it would work to actually transfer the image from a photocopy to fabric. The Chartex was useless for that task. It is wonderful though for giving the fabric enough body so it can go through a printer without destroying it. Chartex is no longer being manufactured and I have most of a box of 100 sheets so I’m set until I find something better in the future.
Thursday I made my first attempt to print the photos. My printer just wouldn’t print. It was one of those awful scenarios where you have to re-install the printer driver. Actually, this was one of those awful scenarios where you have to make many, many attempts to re-install the printer driver.
I made several attempts Friday, and even more tries on Sunday. Eventually on Monday I got the printer up and running.
Unfortunately, this is what I got.
I tried a fix I have used in the past, coloring the image with wet colored pencils. Often coloring the image just makes you read the image as much better than it actually is.
It’s somewhat improved, but I’m really not happy with the image quality.
Setting the color with the Bubble Jet is completely counter intuitive. After you let the image sit for a while, you wash the image in detergent. The detergent makes the image permanent. I don’t understand the chemistry behind it at all. I guess it is a bit like believing in God, but it works.