a dress on the side

My friend David's mom died just after my mother in law died. She was one of those terrific old time lefty's who wrote poetry, raised money for political causes and sewed.

When she died she left lots of fabric. Some of it went to make quilts for wounded veterens. Some I donated to the day care center that my kids used to go to, and some I kept for myself.

I found myself falling in love with this snakesnkin cotton knit from the early 1980's. I'm not quite sure why. I think it reminds me of a miniskirt I lusted after when I was in my early 20's.

Instead of a miniskirt with many zippers, I made my version of a twist front bodice dress. Creating this twist front involved slicing and dicing and recombining the bodice. If there are requests , I can post a tutorial. I like how the twist gives the bodice a bit of shaping.

The dress looks better on me than it does on the dummy. My neighbor gave me a black white and grey animal print sweater that looks very cool with the dress. I may wear it tomorrow.



Comments