An ancient lunch

 This was my lunch today.



It is a slice of home-baked wheatgerm bread topped with sliced tomato, herbs de Provence, and shredded cheese.  Two months ago if I had made this lunch for myself I would have sent this photo to my friend Miriam. 


This photo would trigger memories of  English muffin pizza made with an English muffin, a slice of American or muenster cheese, a bit of ketchup, and if we were feeling extra fancy a sprinkle of oregano. That simple lunch of our childhood was at the same time the height of mid-century ultra-processed fake food and actually kind of delicious.


Those toaster-oven made lunches of our childhood also were the E-Z Bake Oven seeds of both of us becoming serious cooks. Sending Miriam this photo would have sparked a discussion and unleashed a waterfall of memories between the two of us. Perhaps we might have shared a recipe or two, memories of our mothers, or pushed one another to re-try one of our other childhood favorites.

Miriam is no longer alive to respond to this image. 


There are other quick messages that I haven't been sending to Miriam. I didn't tell her about the excellent babaganouj  I made last week without using techina. I wasn't able to tell Miriam about the frum podcast  I listened to that was discussing Roe vs Wade. 


There are so many quick messages that I won't be sending and won't be receiving.





Comments

  1. That reminds me of a favorite brunch/lunch/supper here - garlic, olive oil, herbs de Provence and diced (fresh or canned) tomatoes simmered together until thickening, then poach eggs in the mixture and serve the whole over your favorite toasted bread or roll. Known as "red eggs" in our family, these are a quick go-to, served with fruit on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! A vaguely French version of Shakshouka!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.