a bit of mending

Now that it has become cooler I have started pulling out my cashmere sweaters.  I discovered that one of my favorites, a wonderfully deep red cardigan had become dinner for a moth. The hole was distressingly large.


I can usually repair a moth hole by making a few discreet stitches from the reverse of the sweater. usually, the repair is invisible or nearly so. This time the mend was far more visible than I would have hoped.

I did what ladies have done countless times over the centuries and turned to embroidery to disguise the mend.



One spiral over a mend might look a bit like a crude fix.

I figured that if I
added a few more spirals this might look like not a mend, but rather a charming embellishment.





There may be more additions to this sweater over time.

Comments

  1. Wonderful fix. I did this to my daughter's favorite cardigan until it was beyond hope. A few weeks ago I was at their home doing Grandma daycare & a bit of laundry, and fount it still hanging in the laundry room.
    Last week, in a cleaning fit, I tackled the cedar chest, hoping to pare down a few more belongings. I found two cashmere sweaters from my much larger days that no longer fit, but the bright red cardigan was gifted to her, the emerald green pullover to her sis.
    And I found dresser runners embroidered and crocheted by their two grandmas among the many linens, so each was gifted with one of them. The old cedar chest cover from my grandma is going to my sister or cousin - it is too fragile to survive my active little grands. The doilies from the grandmas and great-grandmas will become the centerpieces of pillowcovers for their beds.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.