Ending a complicated week

I got a delighted phone call from the mother of the recipient of this sweater.  It made me happy that I had made the effort and that my niece was as delighted by this sweater as I am, perhaps even more.

Another great niece visits on Monday and I made her this sweater.



It is knit with a wool-blend heavy weight yarn and is edged in purplish crochet.

My favorite part of this sweater are the buttons.In Hebrew this baby is named for my Mother , Zipporah, which means bird.

This baby's middle name in Hebrew is Zahavah, which means gold. I was delighted to find the button with a beautiful cloisonne bird.  My mother, in the family was known by her English name.

I think that the hand  carved shell buttons are a nice evocation of my mother's English name.


I love a baby garment that is a bit over the top.


Tonight is officially Tisha B'Av but since we don't fast on Sabbat ( except for Yom Kippur) the fast begins tomorrow night. There is a tradition to not eat meat during this time of national sadness.


I got the batty idea to make ravioli. This is the dough I mixed up this morning.


It's a crazy amount of work. Luckily, my youngest helped. Usually before I start making filled pasta I am sure that it is an completely doable job.  Inevitably about half way in, when it is too late to change course I realize that it is a much bigger job than I had anticipated.

With my son's help I was able to muster through.

We are eating vegetable ( yellow pepper, red carrot and onion) and cheese filled ravioli. the pasta has been layered in my late mother-in-law's red Pyrex casserole dish with shredded bok choi, more of the vegetable puree and more cheese.




If I have the energy, I may make something else as well.

Wishing all of you who fast a meaningful fast.

Shabbat Shalom!

Comments