On a walking tour of Lost Jewish Harlem

Last night  I went on a Lost Synagogues of Harlem walking tour. Notices for the tour have been showing up in my Facebook feed. It was was the perfect night to go.







We visited the previous home of  my synagogue.


This building had been built as a factory but then was a synagogue for several decades.


This synagogue on 116th Street was where Yossele  Rosenblatt was cantor. 
 It currently looks like the sort of Romantic ruin beloved by  Victorian tourists.




Our tour guide told us that the creek that runs under the building may be the reason that the roof collapsed twice. 


The congregation that used to be housed here  is now in the process of rebuilding the home they had built in the  1920s in our neighborhood.
























The terracotta work is stunning. 












Harlem boasts some of the most beautiful architecture in the city.  I couldn't stop taking photos of beautiful buildings.










I was also delighted by the wonderful details on so many of the buildings.




























I am not showing you everything that we saw and learned, because I think the Lost Synagogues of New York tour is really worth taking.You can find a link to the tour and the schedules on Facebook.




Comments