Post Yom Tov ironing

The Jewish holidays mean lots of dinners around here. The dinners call for tablecloths and napkins in addition to all of the food. The aftermath of the holidays always includes masses of laundry and ironing all of that napery.

I suppose that it isn't irrational to ask why I don't use no-iron tablecloths like most of the universe and why I don't just use paper napkins. But old linens just seem to show up in my house. I could keep them all boxed away and use an easy-care tablecloth and we would still eat a lovely meal.

However, bringing out my mother's Madeira napkins and using them is a way to connect with the things my parents loved. I still haven't been brave enough to use the cloths that came with these napkins.

I used the napkins with this tablecloth because I liked how the flowers were embroidered in the color of honey.

I thought the cloth would show off the honey in my parents' apple shaped honey jug.

I have no idea who BL who embroidered this cloth was. It's nice quality linen that has been finished off by machine. If BL were a fancier seamstress she would have mitered off the corners. The overlapped hem is fine. I think that this was a cloth that was made for use and not a household's most treasured tablecloth.


The crochet lace edging is beautifully done.

Along with the four large tablecloths I ironed I also ironed about a dozen and a half napkins.

As I ironed all of the linen I thought about my mother ironing in our kitchen as she watched TV. I thought about the women who embroidered these cloths and I thought about the women in other households who may have laundered these linens.

These tablecloths and napkins have been put out for important meals not just in my household but in other homes. 

When I iron these cloths I give honor to the women who created and used these little bits of luxury and I make them all present in my home.

I used to own simple tablecloths that you could use right out of the dryer. But as more and more of these oldfashioned treasures kept showing up as my friends' mothers died, or as my own mother died it seemed silly not to use the pretty stuff. 

When the cotton-poly cloths got stained I tossed them. The old linen can always be soaked clean. The old linens can take being mended. I love being able to use the lovely old tablecloths and napkins and not worry when people spill. People can eat comfortably. The wine can tip over but I can get the cloth looking pristine without too much work.

When my mother moved out of our house she presented me with many of her tablecloths. No, she entrusted me with them. So, I do use many of them. I don't use them exactly as she did but they are part of our lives.



The other day when I lay on my couch the sky looked especially dramatic.

Comments

  1. So I'm not the only one who has loved & kept the old linens - we use them for holidays & special dinners with friends. I feel bad that our dinner Wednesday didn't feature some of these treasures - but it was moved indoors at the last minute due to chilly weather...
    We also use "real" plates & flatware - even for cookouts & picnics - it might not all match, but we do treasure it. And cleanup time just extends the opportunity to visit. My brother's immediate family has expanded beyond 20, and most get together for Sunday supper each week - he has continued our family tradition that the women retire to the living room with a glass of wine while the men clean up; he is now extending that to include the older grandsons... One son-in-law could never get on board with that - I believe it contributed to his departure.
    Traditions are so lovely, and reminders of our past connect us to history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Sue. I love your family washing up tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for the memories. i also have madiera cloths that were wedding gifts for my mother and father in 1941. the cross-stitch cloth was probably a stamped kit, maybe from herschner's. they were popular from about 1945 until now. my mother-in-law made me some lovely ones that i've handed down to my daughter and son and they're still in use today for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara- you may be right about the cross stitched cloth. it may have come from a kit . the design is certainly one I have seen before,usually on a smaller scale though. I wonder though because monogram looks like a pre 1945 type style and also that crochet edge looks like older, finer work. But then again, it all could have been cobbled together at some point adding older crochet lace to a newish cross stitched cloth. Kits tended to come in more usual color combinations, that honey gold and blue is not an expected color combination. I have seen these cloths done with green stems and fruit colored fruits...Sometimes people bought the pre stamped cloths and chose their own threads. one more thing...those are GIANT cross stitches. It's a bit of an odd cloth, one of the reasons I am so fond of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.