Another clean -up inspired trip down memory lane

When I was pregnant with my youngest I went into labor at 3 months. I was then put to bed for the duration by my doctors. This was not, as you might imagine, a great period in our lives. I was in labor, had two older kids who had a mother functioning on a pretty low level of mothering and a husband with a crazy demanding job with long hours.

We muddled our way through that time, with lots of help from friends and family. My friend Judy wisely realized that I needed to keep my hands busy and brought me a copy of the Klutz Press Sculpey book. I made elaborate necklaces for all of my kids' therapists and teachers.

It some point, during that time I realized that I needed to sew.  I pieced matching reversible  vests for my kids--all by hand. This is one of them.
It was the 90's. It looked less outlandish then.
Making these vests was a way to keep me sane during trying times. These vests were also a way of letting my kids know that I cared about them and was thinking about them while I was not able to do as much for them as I would have liked.

Another entry from the blast from the past file.


I bought this T-shirt
  for my oldest at the 1992 National Havurah Committee conference that we had attended. It was worn by all three of our kids.

My youngest wore it to daycare. One day on the way home, as we often did, we stopped at the local cafe/gourmet shop and bought a baguette for my son to eat as a snack on the way home. As we walked into the courtyard of our building we realized that Law & Order SVU was filming in the building, as they often have over the years.

Richard Belzer was sitting between takes on a director's chair. He called my son over and red the Hebrew on the shirt out loud. he then asked my son what he was eating, my son replied a baguette. My son asked if Belzer wanted some. Richard Belzer said that he would love some. My son then carefully gave Belzer a crumb. When I told my son that giving someone a crumb wasn't all that nice, my son carefully broke of a slightly less tiny crumb of baguette.

Richard Belzer thankfully saw the humor in the situation.

Both garments have been put away for my future grandchildren.

Comments

  1. Memories. Good out of a bad situation. and learning manners with a Star. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My youngest no longer is someone who begrudgingly shares a crumb and is truly generous to others. I have seen him give a day's wages to a beggar.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.