The big day

No, not the wedding but a different big day. Today was the day that my future son-in-law became Jewish. We all trooped down to the mikvah for his mid-afternoon conversion.

He met privately with the three rabbis who made up his bet-din/religious court. And then it was time for him to immerse in the mikvah. Soon, although it felt like a lifetime to me, he emerged, Jewish.


My daughter and her intended have eaten many Shabbat and holiday dinners with us over the years. When I realized that this relationship was a serious thing I began giving my daughter's beloved the same antique Russian silver cup to use for Kiddush week after week. A couple of years ago my daughter and I were setting the table for a holiday meal and I said: " When he converts, the cup is his."

Today, I polished up that cup and brought it with me to the mikvah.

There it is in the striped bag that he is holding as he reads the conversion certificate.


There are many more wonderful days that await us.
זֶה הַיּוֹם עָשָׂה ה', נָגִילָה וְנִשְׂמְחָה בוֹ

Comments

  1. Mazal tov! May you all celebrate many happy times together and may he use his new kiddush cup for many, many years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yonina, thank you. I feel sentimental thinking about how long we know one another, not quite fifty years.

      Delete
  2. How wonderful! I am going to meet my son’s future mother in law in about 2 weeks. Big changes for all of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. סימן טוב ומזל טוב❤❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. מזל טוב
    Beautifully written. Love to Dena and I hope for the opportunity to meet her beloved before too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has an aliya this Shabbat in the big shul, come on down!

      Delete
  5. What a precious gift, Sarah. You, the keeper of memories in things made beautifully, extending that whole sense of respect for things precious and so showing that he is also considered precious by you. Enjoy each of these wonderful times together. Make more of these special moments which will become treasured recollections. I am so glad for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't read and go on without stopping to say how happy the picture of them so obviously in love made me. I adore your blog and love reading about your life and all you love.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.