The Decorative Art Show

I'm not sure if this falls into the category of one good deed begets another, but my friend Esther invited me to a wonderful lecture about Tiffany's work in synagogues last week. you can read all about the lecture here. But at the end of the evening, the organizers gave out tickets to this weekend's decorative art show. My husband and I went today.

Usually at craft shows it is not polite to take photos and certainly not without permission. This show was different, it was sort of expected that one would take photos. I did ask permission from every vendor before I started taking photos. 
These teapot themed sculptures in porcelain were technically amazing. They weren't exactly beautiful but they were fun to look at.

 My husband liked these animated pictures more than I did. Like the teapots, a giant technical challenge but also like the teapots, slightly silly.
 I loved the strut-work on this table.
These topography tables in glass and wood were fascinating.


 My kids are right, I am really an eight-year-old boy. The sculpture when looked at the right way reads "poo".
 The director of the Museum of Fine arts in Boston once described most of the objects from an exhibit lent by the Hermitage as, " If I won it at Revere Beach I wouldn't take it home." This chair falls into the Revere Beach category for me.

This credenza too might be Revere Beach goods.
I just loved this leather and wood chair.



This show was filled with mid-century modern.

This Swedish chair was just so similar to school chairs and yet-better.


This copper knit screen was impossible to photograph. Each square was knit out of electrical wire. 



Yes, I want this dresser.

 I also want this lovely grouping of chairs.






 This chair reminds me of two little kids playing together.

The thumbtack chair looked remarkably comfortable.


These wicker chairs were amazing.



I met the designers of this settee. It looks like it is floating but it has an elegant understructure. They spent a fair amount of time explaining it to me but I couldn't understand their accents so I smiled and noddded a great deal.


 I didn't know I would want turquoise covered furniture, but I do.


  I also didn't know I would want pyrite covered furniture.

 This light fixture was on the border between beautiful and horrible.
My husband adored this credenza.

 I fell in love with the Josef Hoffman furniture and urn.




 This is probably the most beautiful upholstery tape I have ever seen.




Do you need a drippy side table?

 I loved this cabinet made out of glass tubes.
 Being around so many beautiful things makes your eye hungry for more.  We were given coupons for champagne and sipped our glasses while looking up at the fabulous chandeliers in the Armory.



My husband read the catalog and then we each had places to go, so we left the Decorative Art Show and went on our way.

Comments