Food Friday- I thought about sewing edition

Over the last few days I have been working on altering the kittle.
So far I have taken in the side seams. This had ended up being a much trickier job than I had anticipated. I don't know it it is my new and not fabulous sewing machine but the layers of fabric kept shifting and bunching on the underside of the fabric.

To calm myself, I began listening to recordings of High Holiday music.  The work began to go much more smoothly. As I worked and sang along  with the recordings i recalled the email that the owner of the kittle had sent me hoping that every stitch be a prayer.  I am a little too much a Litvak to really think of every stitch as actually being a prayer, yet I know from long experience that listening to liturgical music as I work helps keep me calm and focused. 

I still need to trim the seam allowances so they look presentable. After much deliberation about how to shorten the sleeves, I finally decided to bite the bullet and undo the complicated cuff construction.
It's a pesky job. But the kittle owner's email got me thinking about the appropriateness of undoing stitches  and fixing old work during this season of introspection.

While I intended to work on the kittle all day, other things got in the way, including cooking.


Another item was ticked of my my Rosh HaShanah cooking list.
Since this photo was taken the beef is all thinly sliced and has joined the wall of tzimmes, and the smaller wall of stuffed cabbage in the freezer.

Given that next week will be so meat heavy we decided to eat fish tonight.


It's salmon with an herbed almond crust. my son made a honey mustard sauce to serve with it.

The cauliflower is being added to a boring green salad.

There is no dessert tonight but we do have challah and Israeli couscous.

More work awaits me after Shabbat ends.

Shabbat Shalom!

Comments

  1. Nice to see your blog and your beautiful work and Shabbat and holiday meals!! I have started sewing and making challah covers in this past year, so its nice and inspiring to see your blog! Blessings and Shalom from Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Shayndel! Glad to have you reading here. How did you find my blog?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.