Blog salad, the other side of sick

I know I haven't posted a whole lot lately. I have been struck down with what my buddy, and fellow sinus sufferer, Marla calls 'The Yuks'. After a few draggedy days and a few flat on my back days. I am now once again a member of the human race.

During this time I taught two different art classes for seniors and teens together.


In both classes we did a card making activity where working in a round robin fashion the participants created cards.

Today was the final class.



There were many lovely moments in this class. A few of the teens had never touched a needles and thread before last week. all of them were sewing pretty comfortably by the end of the class. this week, two of them were also embroidering.


Working with the seniors was an honor. Last week one of the participants talked about hiding in the forests of France during the war. She wasn't in class today because she was celebrating her 101st birthday with family out of town.

Another participant is quite a well known book illustrator. She brought in a small wall quilt she was commissioned to make for the bicentennial. The quilt was made up of a series of postage stamp sized etchings printed on muslin. It was so beautiful I could cry.

I am always happy when people's outside shells fall away and they show their souls to others. We kept having those moments in our class. I hope I get to do this again.

A dear friend came to town.
Growing up as I did, coming of age in the late 1960's and early 1970's I had long hair as did my sisters. When the ends of our hair got ratty we trimmed one another's hair. I can't remember the first time I trimmed my sister's hair, or the first time one of my sisters trimmed my hair.

When my daughter lived at home and her hair was long I trimmed back her hair when the ends got too messy.

Tonight my son let me clean up the ends of his hair.
Old skills are not easily forgotten.

Comments