An earned play day

Yesterday, the kittle was picked up.

Here it is with the cuffs turned down.


And now with the cuffs turned up. Here is the back view.
 I was anxious before my client came to pick up the kittle came because after a piece is done, all I can see are the flaws.

To both manage my anxiety level and to reduce the giant stack in my ironing pile I ironed most of the linens we used over the holiday. Yes, that is quite a large stack of ironing. We now have clean and pressed tablecloths, napkins and dresser scarves to take us through the next few weeks

My client was really happy with the kittle. Her joy helped me to see the kittle with fresh eyes and see what I actually pulled off.

I thought that I deserved something of a play day today. I took myself to the museum at FIT.
The upstairs gallery has an exhibit called Uniformity. It's an exhibit both of uniforms and fashion inspired by uniforms.  If you can't visit the exhibit visiting  this page is almost as good. Just click on the images and you will be able to see the entire exhibit. If you go to the menu at the top of the page you can watch the videos, just as I did in the museum. This is a small exhibit. The FIT museum usually does a couple of exhibits like this one every year where they take a concept and see how it plays out through fashion history. Maybe because of the topic, uniforms this particularly exhibit seems a bit less interesting than some of the other iterations of this play it out through fashion history exhibits.
I loved this take on a French waiter's uniform
1970's McDonald's uniform and the silly Moschino take on the uniform

Love the shoes
The dress on the right is a 1967 Rudi Gernreich. I had a nearly identical Florence Eisman that was one of my favorite childhood dresses.  I was a school girl so the look was totally right for me. 


The downstairs gallery is showing the sort of exhibit that I tend not to like,the sort of exhibit I think of as "Wardrobe of one Rich Lady". This exhibit is the exception to my own idiosyncratic rule. Proust's Muse, the Countess Greffulhe  was apparently a friend of Proust's and one awesome dresser. You can take a virtual tour of the exhibit here. The clothing runs from the 1880's to the middle of the 20th century. You can read more about the clothing and see a video here. You can actually hear the video and not have to hear FIT staff rolling giant cart along the floor and yelling at one another. Sometimes enjoying the exhibit at home might be better than being there.

The garments are every one of them amazing. The countess was a woman with lots of money and a real sense of what worked best for her.Luckily you don't have to be here in New York to visit the museum virtually You can click through both exhibits in your pajamas  and have nearly as good an experience.

And now a moment of grousing. As the owner of this blog one of the things I do most days is visit the stats on the blog. One of the things I can see is the sites that drive traffic to my blog. Some of the sites that generate traffic make a whole lot of sense. There is traffic that shows up here from other sewing blogs, from other blogs that deal with Jewish stuff. There is traffic that shows up from searches for things like "tallit" or "challah cover".  Lately I have been getting a fair amount of traffic from sexually graphic sites in Russia and from "dating" sites.  All I can think is that the visitors showing up from those sites must be badly disappointed when they get here.

Comments