The End of Chanukah

Yesterday Kira came by to finish tying her tzitzit. She had made a first visit last week but was nearly cross-eyed with exhaustion. Luckily, she lives in the neighborhood so it was easy to reschedule for a time when she wasn’t falling asleep on her feet.

SAM_3537

Kira wisely decided that her tallit really did need an atara.

I made s simple one painting the same scrollwork  motif that I had painted on her pinot/corner pieces.

I also stitched on silver sequins on both ends for a little bit  of extra oomph. Kira DID NOT want more text. I like having a bit additional light near the face.

SAM_3561

She was really pleased  with the result, both of the atara and her tzitzit tying.

SAM_3582

SAM_3583

Last night was the eighth night of Chanukah.

SAM_3588

Earlier in the week we had given our kids Amazon gift cards. This is what my youngest bought for himself.

SAM_3581

I think he will actually get a good deal of wear out of them. He plans to wear them as street shoes.]

A couple of people wrote to me because they were a bit puzzled about the square gusset I added to make my sweater fit better.SAM_3572

 

This photo shows the sleeve opened flat with all of the under arm seaming showing. I outlined the gusset in red. Yes, I’m showing the sweater inside out so you can see the seams more clearly.

SAM_3590

Now you see the sweater sleeve (inside out) with the gusset as it is seen when the sweater is actually worn.

SAM_3592

 

I hope this makes things a bit clearer. If you don’t quite understand, you have my sympathies.  It took me a really long time to understand the geometry of under-arm gussets. Basically it’s a patch that is added to give room  when body movement is needed.

 

If I had cut the sweater properly to begin with, with more room in the under arm I would not have needed the gusset. Since I cut before I had really thought things through I had a problem. This was my solution.  This solution is one that has been used by dressmakers for centuries. There is no need to re-invent the wheel.

One of the nice things about having more experience sewing is that I can come up with fixes for my errors. Luckily I have made so many errors over the years that  have a giant library of fixes that I can reference.

Comments