A Bonus

A few years ago I bought several volumes of this excellent twelve volume sewing course be Isabel De Nyse Conover. I have been on the lookout for the missing volumes  since I made my purchase.

vintage patterns 001

I had found individual volumes priced at what I had paid for the 8 volumes that I owned.  I really wanted the other volumes. Luckily the entire set ( missing the first 5o pages of the first volume) appeared on eBay. I was a successful bidder.

I am delighted to own the missing volumes.

 

While I was reading Lesson 5 a piece of paper fluttered out from between the pages.

It was a 1920’s advertisement for patterns.

vintage patterns 001

vintage patterns 002

I am delighted that the ad includes the cutting diagrams for the patterns.

vintage patterns 001

One feature of flapper dresses was pleats or gathers over the hips.The skirt was cut wide over the hips, a slit  was cut and the additional width was gathered or pleated into the body of the dress.

This book is based on the incredibly simple concept.

 

I am thinking that it might be a good thing to attempt to make such a dress but with the pleats beginning at the waist instead of at the hips.

vintage patterns 002

I love the design of this incredibly simple apron.

The paper is in beautiful shape.  At first I had thought that it was new, from a recent reader. Instead I found something that probably belonged to the original owner of the sewing course.

Comments

  1. How very cool! Love the cutting diagrams. As you say, if you are familiar with your shape, you can basically work out how to adapt it to suit. Some of the extra square addition are quite similar to these Lagen look shapes. Or perhaps a March Tilton t-shirt I saw. (The pattern probably had a name, but I never remember or attempt to memorise these pattern names. It takes up too much head space to try to think of a way to connect the garment with a random name.)
    Sandy
    oops didn't intend a rant to slip in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy.. I totally missed the rant. I saw a musing on a sewing topic.Clearly the name matters a whole lot less than understanding the technique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I see my fingers are more used to typing March than Marci!
    Love the draping in the updated version. I don't think I ever watched June Clever...probably the years we didn't have a tv. But according to bits and pieces of people's memories I hear, it is likely that her print was a bit more subdued!
    Looks good. I am tempted to copy your photos of the 1920's gowns to try one of the layouts myself.
    Sandy
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy just do it. It's so easy( especially in a knit) . I just picked up the mail..and several neighbors asked me about my dress " Sarah , no way you made THAT dress." It looks complicated but could not be easier.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.