Working while sad
The news from Israel was so distressing these past few days. I consoled myself by working.
Usually I will piece strips of fabric to the center of the challah cover. This time, I decided to vary my method and applique the calligraphed center onto silk with a painted border.
I know that I have been doing lots of pomegranates lately. I decided to change things up by painting grapes.
First I marked the corners of the center with pencil. Just a little pencil mark was enough for me to place the grape motifs.
First I painted the basic shapes with my darkest color.Then I added a lighter color.
I then added a few flourishes in green.
Amazingly it looked pretty grapey.
Next I needed to stitch the centers to the borders.
I used a few layers of ugly fabric as stabilizer to support the stitching. If you don’t do that then your stitching bunches unattractively.
This one has three rows of the same decorative stitch done in two colors and on two different sizes.
This version has two rows of that same decorative stich but the outer row couches a blue and silver metallic yarn.
A different mix of stitches.
And finally, couched hand dyed silk ribbon.
Three of the challah covers now are complete with backings and bindings.
The situation in the Middle East is still horrible, but I feel a little bit better.