Working while sad

The news from Israel was so distressing these past few days. I consoled myself by working.

 

I needed to create borders  for this last batch of challah covers.SAM_2480

 

Usually I will piece strips of fabric to the center of the challah cover. This time, I decided to vary my method and applique the calligraphed center onto  silk with a painted border.

I know that I have been doing lots of pomegranates lately. I decided to change things up by painting grapes.

First I marked the corners of the center with pencil. Just a little pencil mark was enough for me to place the grape motifs.

SAM_2539

SAM_2539

 

First I painted the basic shapes with my darkest color.Then I added a lighter color.

SAM_2540

I then added a few flourishes in green.

SAM_2541

Amazingly it looked pretty grapey.

SAM_2542SAM_2543

Next I needed to stitch the centers to the borders.

SAM_2544

I used a few layers of ugly fabric as stabilizer to support the stitching. If you don’t do that then your stitching bunches unattractively.

SAM_2545

This one has three rows of the same decorative stitch done in two colors and on two different sizes.

SAM_2549

This version has two rows of that same decorative stich but the outer row couches a blue and silver metallic yarn.

SAM_2550

A different mix of stitches.

And finally, couched hand dyed silk ribbon.

SAM_2547

 

Three of the challah covers now are complete with backings and bindings.

One

SAM_2551

Two

SAM_2558

And threeSAM_2562

The situation in the Middle East is still horrible, but I feel a little bit better.

Comments

  1. I have been thinking about you and about the situation. Sometimes it is comforting to do something that reminds that time continues or to connect one's self with those through the ages who struggled with events that went on around them. It doesn't make it better, but it brings some small comfort still.
    Hugs,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.