New England Chanukah dinner

All of the recent buzz about Thanksgivingkah  got me a little cranky. I guess all of the lists of food you could serve for both Thanksgiving and Chanukah sounded so completely obvious to me that I just couldn’t understand what the fuss was about.

Having grown up just outside of Boston, the food we ate anyway all fall was the sort of foods that normally end up on the Thanksgiving table. we ate orange squashes and sweet potatoes and cranberries all through the cold weather months.

I don’t love potato latkes. Yes, I’m Jewish. I also hate herring. About 20 years ago I began making sweet potato latkes. Of course they need to be served with cranberry sauce.

 

That’s what I made for dinner tonight. The latkes are baked and not fried. I’m not a big fan of fried foods.

SAM_1478

Cranberry sauce cooks up in eight minutes in the microwave.

SAM_1480

Here they are waiting for the gang to come home.

SAM_1483

I already baked pita.

SAM_1484

But I still have to make a green salad. I’m ashamed to admit that I’m wearing an apron as I type this.

And a view of last night candles reflected in our kitchen windows.

SAM_1473

Comments