Ella's tallit is done



Yesterday, I finished Ella's tallit. A nice way to head into Yom Kippur, with an obligation completed. I am so looking forward to her showing up to tie the tzitzit. The tallit feels nice on the body. It's fairly light weight but it has just enough heft.

Yesterday, I also made the Cholesterol Death Kugel with which we usually break our fast. But this time I made the noodles. I used semolina flour for the first time. The semolina makes a really stiff dough. It was hard work to roll out. The pasta dough didn't want to go through the pasta roller, so I rolled it out by hand. It's a good thing that I'm strong.

We are breaking the fast at a friend's house. I'm grateful to not be reponsible for the entire meal.

Yesterday, I received an email from a cousin wishing me an EZ fast. The concept made me laugh. It made me think of doing an EZ fast at a drive through synagogue.

Many friends taper off their usage of caffeine before Yom Kippur to avoid the inevitable horrible headache. I just assume that the headache is part of the biblical injunction "V'initem et naphsoteichem"
making your soul suffer.

Best wishes for a meaningful holiday to all of you.





Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. The tallit is really beautiful - how lucky you are to be able to do such work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am lucky to do this kind of work. I know that on paper this age kid, ( 12-13 years old) is supposed to be horrible. But I have found that most of the kids I have worked with to be delightful. I like how my clients and I push one another into such interesting directions

    When I was studying Art History, I used to feel sorry for the poor artists having to listen to their patrons. What I have dsiscovered, as an artist who works with patrons ( clients,) is how dynamic that realtionship is, and how it makes the art work so much better, when the art is the result of a conversation, rather than being the result of gazing at my own belly button. Listening to the needs and desires of others deepens my work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I moderate comments to weed out bots.It may take a little while for your comment to appear.